Saturday, August 4, 2007

I've Hit a Snag

I got into my revisions today and when I hit page 77, I discovered a glitch. The scene simply didn't make sense in the new plotline. Can't believe I missed it while writing my outline, but I guess it's good I discovered it now. Better late than never.

Anyway, it was probably one of the single most frustrating moments in this process because I couldn't see any other way to fix the situation than to delete the entire scene. That in turn, would leave a HUGE hole. Blah! I sat here for well over an hour trying to figure out a solution -- okay, maybe if this happens I can make it work, sending all sorts of ripples that would destroy my other plot points in the MS. *major banging of head on desk*

Then, just when I was about to hit the ol' delete key, it hit me. If I simply reversed the roles of the characters in the scene, I'd be fine. The answer was staring me in the face the entire time, so blatantly obvious that I completely missed it. LOL. So, that's the good news. I think sometimes a scene is so ingrained in our minds that any other course of action seems wrong. I'm trying to step away from that mentality -- but this scene really threw me for a loop.

I'm in the middle of tweaking the scene now -- leaving me on page 78 for the night. I had hoped to make it to the new scene on page 90 or so, but such is life. Tomorrow I should be able to make it -- if not all the way to 100. *HEE*

So, long day -- not a lot of forward momentum, but still progress.

Oh...and my class is finished!! My two weeks begin NOW. *happy dance* I'm sleeping in late tomorrow -- no alarm for this girl. If someone wakes me...well, it won't be pretty. LOL.

1 comment:

Carol Spradling said...

Hi Jen,

I'm so glad you were able to keep that scene.

The obvious is often overlooked and generally so simple. That's one of the things I do when stuck, ask myself, what's the obvious solution? Even if I don't go with that, it can trigger other ideas.

Now, on to 100!