Tuesday, January 15, 2008

I See The Light!

The past few days I've been feeling...well, both overwhelmed and underwhelmed by FI's prospects. On one hand, I've been super worried that this new version won't have the same OOMPH of the first one--on many levels. On the other, I've been worried that there is NO WAY IN HELL that I'll be able to tie up every thread in this new book. I've been pondering ways to cut, way before I'm at that stage in the process. Folks, I needed some direction. I needed to know that I'm going to be able to put this sucker in some coherent order that will make a good story in the end.

I don't know if I've actually hit that point yet, but this afternoon I decided to forego writing in favor of jotting down a basic "timeline" to the scenes I've got going. My timelines are pretty "seat of the pants" type things. A basic blurb, arrowed to the next blurb... with very few notes between.

Ex:

Lockerroom scene --> Club Scene (Such and such happens) --> X gives M info (try to sneak in THIS (a scene I do not want to cut)) --> M talks to Y, Q confesses, etc.**

**Pertinent characters changed to letters to protect the not so innocent.

Anyway, it's really helped to give me a clear picture of the basic shape of the story. And it also means I have A LOT of work ahead of me. (g) But I feel good about the mini-breakthroughs this has brought about... It's not following the original outline THAT closely, but then, I left myself plenty of wiggle room to stir things up a bit to see what would come out.

Now that I'm feeling all inspired-like, perhaps I can pound out some pages. *crosses fingers*

No comments: