Thursday, October 4, 2007

A Change Will Do Me Good

Okay, so that big scene in BTPM. I'm almost one hundred percent convinced I'm going to take it in a different direction... well, cutting it would be a more apt word. (g) It's taken a lot of thought and arguments with myself, and a doggedly determined friend helping me to weigh the pros and cons, but I'm nearly convinced. I love the scene -- and honestly, there's not a dang thing wrong with it as far as I'm concerned. It fits in the book, but what I realized is that to make it work in the grand scheme of the overall plot, I'll need to extend my wordage a great deal. Also, it's not accomplishing my "goals" as well as I'd like it to.

So scratch it. (g) Bummer, but oh well. I've already got another plan in action that I like a great deal...plus it utilizes the space MUCH better. I'm not cutting everything. The "scene" became three chapters. I'm keeping the first, pretty much as it is now... just a minor tweak at the end. The second will be cut, and parts of the third will be inserted into the new stuff. Crazy, but I'm saving everything -- Just in case. (g) Also, this is weird, but I think I can use part of chapter 2 for FI 2. (VBG) Waste not, want not!

Even though this means I have a great deal of words to rewrite, I think it will make the last quarter of the book _extremely_ easy to get through. Here's hoping. (g)

No comments: