Friday, January 9, 2009

My Goals For 2009

Yeah, I'm a big fan of making resolutions, but hate them at the same time. Sometimes it just feels like by writing them down you're condemning yourself to failure.

Alas, there are some things that I know will happen this year.

1. I will finish FI. I don't care if it takes me until midnight, 12/31/09 to do it. I will finish.

2. Same goes for my revisions of BTPM. That book is so close -- If I could just finish FI, I could probably knock this goal off the block fairly quickly! Gah. (g)

3. I will move on to other projects. I have no idea which one/s. I just know that I have a lot of stories to tell and I can't wait to begin!


Some goals:

1. Make writing a priority -- every day. Too often, I find myself pushing writing to the backburner. The reasons range from other committments to plain laziness. No more. When I write, I feel better about myself. I'm happier, more energetic, and just have a more positive attitude about things. When I don't, I feel like a complete grump. Happy Jen is the goal!

2. Watch less TV. Seriously, I need to chill with the reality shows. Sometimes I watch the same ep 2-3 times a week -- just cuz it's on! (And they're ALWAYS on.) I hereby vow to not allow any TV until I've met my writing goals for the day. EEEK.

3. Make daily, quantifiable goals -- be it word count or pages of revisions to be completed. I've kinda fallen back on the whole "as long as I do something every day" mentality. While, yes, that's great...something is better than nothing...I allow myself to grow lax on making solid progress way too often!

4. Keep up with M:A. It rocks and I love the ladies over there.:)

5. Continue my attempts to learn craft-speak so I can do a better job in exercises.

6. Try to read when I can. My TBR pile has already grown in 2009 (by about 10-12 books!) And the sad thing is that I've only read two books in the past 3-4 months. Seriously. I'm still listening to audio books, tho! I just ordered Libba Bray's A GREAT AND TERRIBLE BEAUTY through ILL. Whoot! Whoot! (Oh, and the Laurie R. King books are FAB-U-LOUS! Love the narrator.)

7. STOP STOP STOP STOP comparing my writing journey to that of others. Just write, dang it.

8. Keep journaling.

9. Sleep...need more sleep.

Okay, those are probably enough for now. :)

Let's have a great year!

No comments: