Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Flipside

I had a crappy day. Not gonna lie. I'm tired, irritable, and I swear to God that today was THE longest day ever. Work went on forever and forever, and I was just miserable the entire time. Isn't that always the way?

Anywho...let's talk about some positive, happy things.

1) I'm listening to Libba Bray's A GREAT AND TERRIBLE BEAUTY...and it's FANTASTIC. The narrator does a great job, and I'm putting in a request for REBEL ANGELS tomorrow. ILL rocks!

2) I've created a rather kooky character for the Houseparty over at the forum. Dr. Margaret Stimple is a pistol and I'm having a great time discovering what crazy thing she'll say/do next. My favorite so far is quite possibly the "mysterious" portrait of her husband on the wall... She talks to it, her inner monologue not exactly a secret as she spills her thoughts to him right in front of her patients. Guess what? It's a picture of Fabio! LMAO. (I don't care who you are, that sh*t is funny!) (g)

3. I've been on a mad worshiping spree so far this year. My buys at last count:

The WRINKLE IN TIME Quintet by Madeleine L'Engle. I've only read the first, A WRINKLE IN TIME (what?) -- at least that I can remember. It's one of my favorite books of all time so I thought it was about time I got the rest.

VAMPIRE ACADEMY, FROSTBITE, and SHADOW KISS by Richelle Mead. I thought the first was alright...but LOVED LOVED LOVED the second. I'm dying to read the third, but plan on using it as my reward for finishing FI. Heh. I must hurry. I need me some Dmitri.

A DRINK BEFORE THE WAR by Dennis Lehane

CRACKED UP TO BE by Courtney Summers -- LOVED IT!

PRIDE by Rachel Vincent -- Goodness, I still haven't read the second book in the series. I'm very much behind.

SPEAK by Laurie Halse Anderson -- I've heard SO many good things about this book.

SECRET SOCIETY GIRL by Diana Peterfreund -- Never read her, but I hear so much about her in the blogosphere.

WRITING THE BREAKOUT NOVEL by Donald Maass -- bought it so maybe I could sound somewhat informed while trying to teach craft to people on the forum. (ha!)

AT GRAVE'S END by Jeaniene Frost -- I'm jonesin' for some Bones.

THE SECRET CIRCLE V. 2 by L.J. Smith -- Still haven't read the first volume. (Are you sensing a theme here? My TBR pile is OUT of control.)

BLISS by Lauren Myracle -- I think I bought this one after the 1st...not 100% on that. I couldn't pass this one up--based on the cover alone. It reminded me of the movie CARRIE -- creepy to the max. I enjoyed Lauren's short in LET IT SNOW, so I had to buy it. Simply had to.

Good grief. That's 17 books this year--and we're not out of January yet. *smacks forehead* Needless to say, my GC's are long gone, though I still have a gift VISA from my sister! (whoot whoo!)

4. Don't you dare laugh at this one! One of my favorite TV shows is out on DVD. FRIDAY THE 13th!!! No, it has nothing to do with Jason. It's about this man who inherits this antique store from a guy who sold his soul to the devil. Everything that this former owner sold was cursed by the devil, and it's the new owner's job to reaquire all of these cursed items. The first episode (if I remember correctly) is about a cursed doll!!! *eeeee* There's a reason I didn't like dolls as a kid -- they're freaky. And this show made me an absolute wreck. I can't wait to get it!! It's next in my Netflix queue. If I'm up late at night, blogging, you'll know why.

5. I have very understanding friends who will listen to my crazy ramblings when I'm stuck with my writing. I had a bit of a mini-freakout, what do I do??? moment, trying to decide between two possible ways I should finish off the end of FI (when I say end, I mean the last 1/4 of the book. The end, end is still up in the air. I'm tossing around an idea that could be...interesting. (VBG)). Anywho -- thanks to Carol for responding to my incoherent emails. I think I know what I'm going to do now. (g) Forcing myself to talk out both scenarios was very helpful.

6. I just realized I would love to write a story about an evil doll! I'm the perfect writer to do it...they scare the living shiite out of me. (g)

Hope y'all are having a good week so far!

7 comments:

Erin said...

Jen,

Vampire Academy - Rent or Buy?

Erin

Jennifer Hendren said...

Erin,

I would buy. I think the book has some issues, but overall I'd say it's probably a keeper. There's definitely something there that made me run out and buy the second...so yeah, I'd go for it. :)

Jen

NBB said...

Caannot wait for "The Evil Doll by Jen Hendren" :)

And glad you got the end of FI worked out so far.

Jennifer Hendren said...

Thanks, Nina...and hey, you gotta start somewhere.

*opens up a fresh notebook and writes 'The Evil Doll' at the top*

(g)

Jen

Erin said...

Jen,

Thanks! Looks like I get to go shopping this weekend... I love having a good excuse!

Erin

KA Cole said...

Hey Jen,

I thought you might get a kick out of this so I tagged you:
http://unbearablewriteness.blogspot.com/2009/01/characters-playlist.html

Have fun!

Kimberely

www.unbearablewriteness.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Hey girl! You still alive? We miss you over at M:A!